September 1, 2011

What I Want (From a Facebook Post)

Here's an actual posting on Facebook that keeps reappearing.  Maybe you've seen it, too.

Every day you always hear people saying what they want and bought.  Well, this is what I want.  I want people who are sick with no cure to be able to be cured.  I want children with no families to be adopted.  I want the disabled to be fully abled.  I want people to never have to worry about food, shelter and heat.  Most of all I would like to see our nation turn back to God.  Now let's see how many people re-post this.  I have a feeling I am gonna see almost no re-posts.

A fine sentiment, except that at the end of one such entry was the following caveat:

Just to clarify, no, I don't believe it's the government's responsibility for all of those things.

Now, this is what I'd like to know.  Isn't our government the institution by which WE THE PEOPLE vote to actualize our most selfless dreams?  Isn't government the way we pool our collective resources to effect--as the Declaration of Independence demands--the safety and happiness of all?

Waiting for God to make it happen is equivalent to kicking the ball into His court.  Our nation will turn back to God only when we choose (at the ballot box and elsewhere) to be the tools He uses to bless His children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope the people in the government will be sensitive enough to give the promises they told the people to win they votes...